Sunday, March 15, 2009

After three months at post with , I feel like I can finally say I'm getting into the swing of things. I started taking Kanuri lessons with my counterpart, Falta. Each night, I go over to her house, sit down on a mat with her and her two little girls (who are without a doubt, the two most adorable children in town) and I point to things and ask what the word is in Kanuri. I write a couple pages of words and phrases down in my notebook each night, and little by little, I'm learning. Although I still don't understand the structure of the language, I'm amusing people in town with my attempts to extend the greetings to the next level of "How's the dust?", "How's the house," and "How's the neighborhood?" I'm also getting used to teaching English, and I'll find out how the kids are doing next week after I give my first test.

Between English classes, Kanuri lessons, and spending time at the hospital, my days are full. I've been going on the morning rounds at the hospital, which gives me a chance to see all the patients. I've seen some really interesting patients, like a baby with a cleft palate, a man with a poisonous snake bite, and some burn victims from gas truck explosion. I also saw a childbirth last week, which was amazing and miraculous and incredibly gross at the same time. I started helping to give HIV tests during prenatal consultations, basically just pricking fingers. I think if I keep observing at the hospital, I'm going to get the chance to learn a lot. I've got my In-Service Training coming up in a week, so I'll get some good internet time and write more then. A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment